Once Upon A Mattress
IMPORTANT: PLEASE NOTE
This costume plot is a “suggested” design interpretation of your production and may differ greatly from the Costume World stock. To guarantee a costume selection that is in closest possible accordance with your specifications, our Designer/Costumer will advise you of the costume options currently available.
Once Upon A Mattress Plot
(In The castle of Queen Aggravain and King Sextimus, once upon a time.)
WINNEFRED: (A Princess of the Swamplands)
- Raspberry colored dress of dubious taste. (This dress can be soaked and will breakaway in three large sections)
- A nice dress, full in back with deep, full sleeves plus a modest undergarment of a slip type. (Undergarment is not true period)
- A “high fashion” overdress and underdress (surcoat, cotehardie) for the ball – definitely swamplands taste. Plus a little crown.
- A cutesy nightgown and nightcap with matching pantalets (Not true period)
PRINCE DAUNTLESS: (Handsome, but a sissified mouse)
- Short tunic, tights - looking very sissified
- A change of the above tunic
- An elegant change of short tunic and tights, plus crown
QUEEN AGGRAVAIN: (A pouncing hawk of a woman)
- An elaborate dress and headdress plus petticoat. Overdone, imposing and in the coat-of-arms style
- A change of the above gown and headdress
- Elaborate and imposing gown plus crown and train cape for the ball
KING SEXTIMUS: (Sweet but mute)
- Gown, robe, tights and crown. A slightly silly effect, though very royal
- A change of the above gown and robe
- A very rich gown, robe and train cape for the ball
A certain amount of effort will be made to color coordinate the king and queen.
LADY LARKIN: (A Maid in Waiting)
- A very lovely dress and headdress, petticoat (Dress should have a ribbon tie which detaches easily for a favor) Short tunic, tights, large-brimmed hat, short cape (Disguised as a young man)
- A change of the first costume (no ribbon necessary)
SIR HARRY: (Larkin’s Lover)
- Short tunic, tights. A reasonably dashing outfit
- Short tunic, tights, hat, long cape (Serviceable - he has been traveling)
- A very dressy short tunic and tights for the ball
Short tunic, tights, cap, cape. Suitable for a traveling man of modest circumstances.
Wizard’s robe and hat, tights. (Not quite realistic - a bit more toward the get up of a stereotyped sorcerer)
Short tunic, tights, hat. Parti-colored with bells. The usual
A very pretty dress, petticoat, small crown
NIGHTINGALE OF SAMARKAND:
Body suit with wings covered in colorful fabric feathers, headpiece which has a beak at forehead level and colored fabric feathers which engulf the head and neck, but leave the face bare, tights. (Blues - Greens in color)
- (Includes Rowana, Merrill, Lucille, H. Studley, Harold, Beatrice, Luce, Sally and Mabelle)
- Court ladies (each) attractive dresses, petticoats, headdresses
- Court Gentlemen (each) Short or long tunics, tights
- Female Servants: (each) Simple dresses (Cotehardie) with petticoats, aprons, head scarves
- Male Servants: (each) Belted simple short tunics, tights.